BAKU, Azerbaijan, August 21. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has said ending the war now would be preferable while Iran remains in what he described as a “position of strength and dignity”, while warning that Tehran would respond forcefully to any renewed attack.
Speaking at the 31st General Assembly of the Islamic Association of the Iranian Medical Society on Friday, Pezeshkian defended a recent agreement reached through negotiations, describing it as a “major achievement”.
According to the Iranian Students’ News Agency (ISNA), the president said the agreement had been unanimously approved by Iran’s Supreme National Security Council.
Pezeshkian rejected suggestions that the agreement amounted to a surrender. He argued that none of its provisions could be interpreted that way and said the commitments contained in the deal were on the other side.
The Iranian president said Tehran should not reject peace but must remain vigilant against what he described as possible deception. He stressed that Iran would not submit to pressure and would respond strongly to any new attack.
Pezeshkian also argued that every war must eventually come to an end and said reaching an end to the conflict while Iran maintains “strength and dignity” would be preferable.
At the same time, he acknowledged the domestic economic consequences of the conflict and naval blockade, including inflation and broader financial pressure on the Iranian population.
The president said those advocating continued confrontation must also be prepared to accept the economic and social costs associated with such a position.






