Last minute

natural gas European Union European Commission Eva Hrncirova energy security Gas storage

EU sees no immediate gas supply risk despite Iran-US war, Commission says

BAKU, Azerbaijan, August 20. The European Union is not facing an immediate threat to its natural gas supplies despite market pressures linked to the Iran-US war, according to European Commission spokesperson Eva Hrncirova.

Hrncirova said the bloc’s gas storage facilities are currently filled to around 62 percent of capacity, providing the EU with a buffer against immediate supply concerns.

However, European countries are facing difficulties replenishing their storage facilities ahead of the winter season. Higher gas prices since the outbreak of the war involving Iran have discouraged companies from purchasing additional fuel for storage.

The current storage level is also significantly below that recorded during the same period last year. Data from Gas Infrastructure Europe shows that EU-wide storage facilities were around 74 percent full at this point in 2025.

The difference means the bloc enters the remaining months before winter with lower reserves than a year earlier, increasing attention on future gas prices, supply conditions and the pace of storage replenishment.

Despite these challenges, the European Commission maintains that there is currently no immediate concern over the availability of natural gas across the bloc.

Related articles